In this document, “we”, “our”, or “us” refer to UK Cinema Association Ltd
Company number: 05144256 registered in the United Kingdom
Registered office: 22 Golden Square, London W1F 9AD
Data Protection Officer: Phil Clapp, email@example.com
This Privacy notice applies to personal data provided by the nominator and the nominee’s personal data that has been provided to UK Cinema Association Ltd by the nominator. Unless stated otherwise, references to “you” below will apply to both nominee and nominator.
What is the purpose of this document?
UK Cinema Association Ltd. is a “controller” in relation to personal data. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. This Privacy notice makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, namely for the purposes of running a campaign to collect nominations from the general public for people they believe unsung cinema heroes, who have dedicated their careers to keeping the magic of the big screen alive for communities up and down the UK, this is called the “UK Cinema Heroes” campaign. This privacy notice provides you with certain information that must be provided under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
The kind of information we hold about you
In connection with your nomination, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- First name, surname and email address of the nominator
- First name, surname and email address of the nominee
- Nominee’s role and place of work
- Personal information may also be included in the narrative of why the nominee deserves the award. We will destroy immediately any submission that contains sensitive personal data, including but not limited to information concerning a nominee’s health, sexual orientation, religion or race.
- We also conduct our own research to find identified nominees. We will collect the same information to the extent it is available from publicly available sources or other third parties we interview.
- The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter.
How is your personal information collected?
We may collect personal information from the following sources:
- You, the nominee and nominator.
- Data from internet searches and interviews with nominee’s friends and colleagues.
How we will use information about you
Our mission is to support the cinema industry in the UK and shine a light on the way in which cinemas, and those who work so hard to keep them going, form a key strand of our national cultural fabric and an are a hugely valued community asset. To help us with this mission, we are running trying to find our UK Cinema Heroes, we will use the personal information we collect about you solely to choose our UK Cinema Heroes.
In relation to the nominator’s personal data, the basis of our processing is your consent. This consent is evidenced by your entry of the nomination.
In relation to the nominee’s personal data, we require that the nominator has the nominee’s prior written approval to make the nomination (and all personal data contained in the nomination) before it is submitted. It is in our legitimate interests to process the nominee’s personal data in order to choose our UK Cinema Heroes to help promote the UK cinema industry. We only use your information on this legal basis where we have considered that, on balance, our legitimate interests are not overridden by the nominee’s interests, fundamental rights or freedoms.
We have a legitimate interest in providing certain of your personal information to third parties who may require it to assist with the judging of the entries and/or the supply any benefits to prize winners and their friends and family. This may include airlines and hotels.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract [of employment] with you.
Having received the nomination, we will then process that information to decide whether the nominee meets the basic requirements to be shortlisted for the prize. If your application is chosen for the short list we will then share it with a filmmaker and a studio to help us choose the winner(s).
How we use particularly sensitive personal information
We ask that you do not include any sensitive information in your nomination (e.g. details of the nominee’s health, sexuality or race).
If sensitive personal information is received as part of the nomination process then the nomination and all associated personal data will be permanently destroyed immediately.
If sensitive personal data relating to disability is necessary for the provision of a prize then it will be used only to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments to the prize package.
Why might you share my personal information with third parties?
We will only share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes of processing your application: Searchlight Pictures and its authorised agents to assist with the judging and prize provision. All our third parties will take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those persons who are needed to appoint our UK Cinema Heroes. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
How long will you use my information for?
We will retain your personal information until 1 March 2023. We retain your personal information for that period so that we can show we have managed the nomination process fairly. After this period, we will securely destroy your nomination and related personal information.
Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data protection officer
We have appointed a data privacy manager to oversee compliance with this privacy notice (email@example.com). If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact the data privacy manager. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) who is responsible for data protection issues in the UK.